Accounting Standard Codification (ASC) 820 (formerly known as Financial Accounting Standard (FAS) 157)
- As per ASC 820 (formerly known as FAS 157) guidelines, “Fair value” is “the price that would be received to sell an asset or paid to transfer a liability in an orderly transaction between market participants at the measurement date.”
- Private equity and venture capital firms need to value their holdings in unlisted firms, startups and other illiquid assets using a fair value measurement approach, which is complex and difficult. The approach involves in-depth understanding of current global market conditions. Along with detailed portfolio valuation study, including documents like article of association, term sheets, capital structure, stock purchase agreement and financial statements analysis etc.
At Veristrat, we have a seasoned professional team which understands the intricacies involved in performing such complex valuations with greater accuracy and reliability.
Internal Revenue Code (IRC) 409a Valuation
- 409A Valuation is an independent appraisal of the fair market value, done for the unlisted or private companies and startups who are willing to offer stock options to their key employees, to determine the strike price for issuing stock options. Such compensation is referred to as non-qualified deferred compensation as an employee earns such compensation in the current year but will receive in the future year. IRC 409A regulates the treatment for federal income tax purposes for such non-qualified deferred compensation.
- The valuation process is based on a comprehensive analysis of financial statements, business plans, financial projections, shareholder agreements, product descriptions and management strategic reports. All the options should be granted at an exercise price equal to or higher than the fair market value. Employees receiving the deferred compensation benefits may incur an income tax penalty of up to 20% in the event the company issues deferred compensation below fair market value.
At Veristrat, we have a team that strives to provide robust financial and strategic solutions to our clients through comprehensive in-depth analysis for 409a Valuation and adhering to quality standards.
Interested in 409a Valuation? Click here
Accounting Standard Codification (ASC) 805 (formerly known as Financial Accounting Standard (FAS) 141R)
- ASC 805 emphasizes that any activity, to be considered as a business, mandatorily having inputs and processes elements which results in outputs. ASC 805 (formerly known as FAS 141R) provides guidance for accounting and reporting of business combination.
- As per guidelines stated, on the acquisition date an acquirer will recognize and measure all the identifiable assets acquired, liabilities assumed and non-controlling interest (if any) in the target company. Apart from tangible assets, intangible assets should also to be recognized and recorded as an asset in the form of contractual and legal rights (i.e. intangibles) and are separate from goodwill.
- Most commonly recorded intangibles assets as per ASC 805 includes:
- Customer Relationships
- Noncompetition Agreement
Our highly trained professionals work primarily for complex purchase price allocation valuations and help clients to make informed and calculated strategic decisions.
Accounting Standard Codification (ASC) 350 (formerly known as Financial Accounting Standard (FAS) 142)
- As per ASC 350 (formerly known as FAS 142) guidelines (Goodwill Impairment), companies perform the goodwill impairment annual test at each reporting unit level. Goodwill impairment test is performed in 2 steps as below –
- In first step, we calculate the fair value of goodwill and comparing the same with the carrying value; and
- In second step, if the carrying value is greater than the fair value, the impairment value will be the difference of the fair value and carrying value.
- Implied fair value of goodwill is value calculated by taking the difference of reporting unit’s fair value and the sum of the individual values of allocation to the assets and liabilities.
We have highly experienced and dedicated team which primarily works with clients on purchase price allocation and goodwill impairment complex valuations. We provide highly detailed oriented strategic expertise in carrying such valuations across diversified industries.
Accounting Standard Codification (ASC) 718 (formerly known as Financial Accounting Standard (FAS) 123R)
- As per ASC 718 (formerly known as FAS 123R) guidelines, it regulates the framework for accounting and reporting of share-based arrangements with employees. Company must recognize fair value of stock-based compensation as awarded to employees for financial reporting perspective.
- This Fair Value recognition of a stock grant must be calculated by using a total intrinsic value method or by using an option-pricing model approach. The fair value of the stock-based compensation is computed as the difference between market price and exercise price of stock, and such cost of the stock-based compensation is spread over the vesting period and incorporates all types of share-based employee compensation, including stock options, restricted stock, employee stock purchase plan and appreciation rights, etc.
Our dedicated and experienced team provides comprehensive financial statements analysis to determine the fair value of share-based compensation.
Thinking of outsourcing Accounting and ASC 409a Valuation services? Read more.
Accounting Standard Codification (ASC) 815 (formerly known as Financial Accounting Standard (FAS) 133)
- ASC 815 (formerly known as FAS 133) mandate covers comprehensive and complex guidance on derivative and hedging transactions. It provides such reporting practices as required to report hedge gains and loss on fair value basis.
- As per the guidelines, accounting for different types of hedges including cash flow hedge, fair value hedge, net investments hedge, embedded derivatives and foreign currency hedge etc. are based on fair value as reported on balance sheet.
Performing valuations for such complex derivative instruments demands high end expertise. Our dedicated valuation team assists clients to compute such complex calculations with comprehensive due diligence and analysis.